The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
To Our Valued Clients :
We at Omega II Fence Systems work hard to make sure what we leave behind is our state of the art fencing and not a polluted planet. We have always done our best to use recycled materials without compromising our products' superior quality. These practices are not only implemented in our factory, but throughout our office as well. We have reduced the paper used in our binders by over 80% which is one of the many ways we are trying to reduce our footprint.
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System from the US Green Building Council is constantly changing. We ask you check current regulations to see which credits your project could use. Here are possible LEED points that could be available :
Materials & Resources : 1.1, 1.2, 3.1 & 3.2 – All of the Omega II products are either recyclable or reusable. 4.1 & 4.2 – Most of the Omega II products are made with an estimated 60-80% recycled steel. Additional information on the recycled content and origin of products is listed below.
The following information is based on a declaration issued by the steel mill that provided raw material to make our mesh and tubes.
The tubes and the mesh panels used by OMEGA II to manufacture the fence framework are produced from approximately 60% to 80% recycled steel. The amount can vary depending on the steel vendor.
Approximately 80% of the recycled scrap mix originates from post-consumer sources such as shredded automobiles, obsolete household appliances and other similar consumer products. The remaining 20% originates from pre-consumer sources such as steel plant returns and manufacturing residues.
- The geographic origin for the recycled scrap material is distributed approximately as follows:
- Québec – 75%
- Ontario – 10%
- Maritime Provinces – 10%
- Northeastern United States – 5%
Within this mix, approximately 85% is sourced from within 500 km (310 miles) of Montreal and is delivered to the manufacturing site by truck. The remaining scrap feedstock is delivered by rail from within a range of 1,200 km (745 miles) of the mill.
The non-recycled balance of the feed stock originates from virgin iron ore sources materials that originate from the iron ore in North America from Port Cartier, Québec – a distance of approximately 900 km (559 miles).
Any Buy American Omega Architectural panels may have different origins and recycled content. Please contact us for these specific projects.
Please do not hesitate to contact us shall you require more information.
Patrice Beland, Engineer
Director of Engineering
Omega II Fence Systems